Friday, October 9, 2015

Idyllic country cottage


Thursday 8 October 2015

Cloudy with rain 16 degrees

Rang the garage to say that we did not have the carte grise which is the document showing that you are the owner of the vehicle.  We definitely remembered the lady putting it in a black plastic wallet and it was no where to be found.  The lady said she had indeed given it to us but would send an email with the relevant document copied into it.

OH went to the physio to get put back into line and I found the wallet in my handbag.  Phew!  If you are stopped over here by the traffic police and do not have your carte grise and the insurance documentation, it is an on the spot fine.  For French resident readers, that includes having to carry the piece of paper that came with the little green ticket that you stick on your windscreen - you know, the piece from which you carefully tear out the ticket.

Decided to have a first foray on my own in the new car and went down town and filled up with diesel.  There is no lock on the fuel tank - you just push in the nozzle.  I do not feel this is progress.  Then off to a town near the mountains to take on a property.

The GPS refused to acknowledge the existence of the road and the phone wasn't working.  Had a flash of inspiration and put in the next town along the road and the GPS was happy and not only took me there, but told me on which side of the road it was.  Parked at some considerable distance, where there was a reduced chance of the passing traffic doing some terrible damage on my first day out.

The house is 19th century and stone built with Ikea Varde kitchen (like mine) and painted douce tones of grey and purple and cream and it is the most delightful house I have seen in a long time.  The beams and staircases are also painted in light tones.  Angels dance from the ceilings and hearts hang on the doors and the bedding is beautiful and SO country.  I want to move in immediately and enjoy the double glazing and central heating and three quarter acre garden with its chickens and apple trees and exposed stone barn.  I am in love and you could walk into town in about 20 minutes.  All for 238600 euros...  I must sell it to someone I like (or, as ever, win the lottery) and then I can come and visit, often...  Take many pictures and fend off an enthusiastic cocker spaniel - only eight months old - who sits and smiles at me with perfect white teeth.  The lady doesn't let him get near enough to lick my legs.  Readers of this blog will know that my legs are utterly irresistible to dogs.

Went for coffee and chocolatine in the local auberge garden and listened to the people eating and drinking and couldn't believe that they could consume that much food and alcohol before hitting the road again.  Their rucksacks were piled up in the corner, each bearing a large conch shell as both a symbol and badge of honour.

Back home and do some paperwork then back out again to pay the rates and the insurance on the car.  Walk dog.  Yet another day with no resin done.  Have to pack for weekend away and am in very bad mood.  I don't want to go away.  I want to stay here and craft.  Am grumpy and throw some things in a suitcase and then it is too dark to craft - the lighting in my craft room is set up to get the maximum from the large velux, which is wonderful in the day but at night, all the spots are behind me.  Placing the tiny flowers in the settings is very precise work and I cant see what I am doing.

OH finds some Ikea meat balls in the freezer so we have those and I look at a house sitting site to see if we can get somewhere warm over Winter.  None of the house sitters appear to have their own animals which they take on the house sits.  No one would want to spend the Winter chez nous.  It is freezing in the bedrooms and definitely not Bali in the bathrooms.  Will have to wait till dog shuffles off this mortal coil.  He is an old boy now.

No comments:

Post a Comment